PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : LPG in 2003 Honda Accord

rca33
16.11.2007, 12:44
Hi.

I’m sorry to write in english, but i can’t speak German. :-/
I can try the google translator, but sometimes the translation has a lot of errors which makes it difficult to understand.

I have a Honda Accord 2.0 i-vtec (2003) and I would like to convert it to LPG.
I have read about problems with vtec engines and LPG, but I haven’t seen any experience with these engines in my country.

Will the engine have valve wear problems using flashlube ?
How long will the engine last before having serious valve problems ?

I would like to hear your experiences with LPG in these cars, because I really love my Honda !

It now has 67000 km with zero problems to report.

Thanks in advance

ATR-Meister
16.11.2007, 16:04
hi and welcome at hondapower.de:-)

we already had some threads about LPG in aacords.

perhaps you will try google translation for it:

http://www.hondapower.de/forum/showthread.php?t=60552

and

http://www.hondapower.de/forum/showthread.php?t=71191

Wörsty
17.11.2007, 19:06
Check your eMails

I've answered your questions there.

>Will the engine have valve wear problems using flashlube ?
Problems sounds negative.
Let's say: The valves should be checked / adjusted every 15.000 km.

>How long will the engine last before having serious valve problems ?
In my case the engine was after 15.000 km not running so smoothly and softly as in the beginning and after valve adjustment all was okay again. (Cost: 60 Euro)

>I would like to hear your experiences with LPG in these cars,
>because I really love my Honda !
Everyone here should love his (or her) Honda.

I had no critical problems with LPG (Prins VSI) in the last 32.000 km.

rca33
17.11.2007, 19:49
First, i would like to thank you for your responses (both here and in the e-mail) :wink:

It seems to me that the need to adjust the valves every 15.000 km is a clear sign of valve wear. :((
My Accord has 67.000 km on petrol, and I never had the need to adjust them.
Remember that there is a limit for the adjustment of the valves, and after that limit you have to replace the whole cylinder head.
So let’s say that on petrol you have to adjust them every 80.000 km and with lpg you need to adjust them every 15.000 km. In this case, you will reach the limit a lot sooner, or put it in another words, you could do over 300.000 km with the original cylinder head on petrol and 100.000 km or less with gas.

Have you checked if the number of drops of Flashlube is as recommended by the manufacturer ? (This is very important)

Do you drive your car regularly over 4.000 rpm ?

Thank you

PS: Here in Portugal, there was a similar case with a CR-V that needed valve ajustment every 10.000 km working on lpg. It had a rough idle after 9.000-10.000 kms.
After four adjustments, it reached the limit and the honda dealer told him that he had to replace the cilinder head (2000 euros + labour). :e

Wörsty
20.11.2007, 18:29
Have you checked if the number of drops of Flashlube is as recommended by the manufacturer ? (This is very important)

No. I think I have it at 6 Drops / Minute but I have to check it again because we have cold winter temperatures soon.

Do you drive your car regularly over 4.000 rpm ?
Yes.:|

PS: Here in Portugal, there was a similar case with a CR-V that needed valve ajustment every 10.000 km working on lpg. It had a rough idle after 9.000-10.000 kms.
After four adjustments, it reached the limit and the honda dealer told him that he had to replace the cilinder head (2000 euros + labour). :e

Promises to be exciting...:???:

rca33
20.11.2007, 18:46
Hi Worsty

In the meantime, i found another 2003 accord owner (2 litre i-vtec) running on lpg since 70.000 km and now has 135.000 km.
The only problem so far is the need to check the valves more often.

But there’s a new system that is already on test.
It uses the same principle as the flashlube, but it varies the number of drops of lubricant according to the engine’s rpm.
If you are on full load, it will lubricate more, and if you are at (say) 3.000 rpm it will lubricate less.

So far, the results on Honda engines have proven to be better than the standard flashlube system (less need to adjust valves).

I would like to ask you if you know more people with lpg on their accords with the i-vtec engine, and if they all have the need of sooner valve adjustment.

Thank you

Harry Kilmer
20.11.2007, 19:03
But there’s a new system that is already on test.
It uses the same principle as the flashlube, but it varies the number of drops of lubricant according to the engine’s rpm.
If you are on full load, it will lubricate more, and if you are at (say) 3.000 rpm it will lubricate less.

So far, the results on Honda engines have proven to be better than the standard flashlube system (less need to adjust valves).

Can you please name the system u described above or the Company that will provide it. Thanx in advance.

rca33
20.11.2007, 19:31
Harry Kilmer,

Hi,

Actually, i don’t know if it is a company.
It’s a user from an autogas forum in Portugal with a good knowledge and experience in autogas.

He developed a new system and it started as a experience with some users of that forum, and now several certified autogas installers in Portugal are using it instead of Flashlube, because of the better results.

It's not the case with our Hondas, but it's the only system that works on turbocharged engines (that i know of).

I will try to find his contact and then I will give it to you in private message.

Please bear in mind that I don’t have anything to do with any autogas related company, and I’m only here to share and learn more about autogas in Accord engines (as I have one and i would like to convert it, but keep the legendary honda reliability). :wink:

With the current diesel trend, there are almost no Accords with petrol engines here :-/, so I registered here in the hope of exchanging experiences.

Any help and feedback on i-vtec engines with autogas would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

PS: I almost forgot. The name of the system is LT Lubricator.

Wörsty
20.11.2007, 19:49
Im interested too. PM please.

rca33
22.11.2007, 15:18
PM sent to both of you.